Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Poor Old Dog

Jackson is in trouble, the anti-depressants were effective for awhile but seem to be losing the battle. His mental capacity is circling the drain at a very rapid rate. His right eye started to weep about two weeks ago and I do not want to do what I should do.

Until Jackson was two years old he lived on a dog run outside of a home. The family fed him and taught him to sit but that was about it. When he came to live with Heidi and I he had knots under his ears, he was not neutered and would head for the hills every time we opened the kitchen door.

Jackson has always been, shall we say shy. My friend Jackson is the omega animal, all the other dogs have their way with him. I have never seen Jackson fight or even stand up for himself, at any sign of trouble or conflict his first response has always been to tuck his tail between his legs and beg for mercy.

Jackson was the first being Heidi and I had to take care of. We walked him, fed him, he slept in our bed for crying out loud. Jackson came to work with me everyday for a year, he could smell a rat from a mile away. I used to talk to him, he would listen, probably thinking I was crazy for talking to a dog. Jackson went everywhere with us, to the beach, for walks in the woods, swimming at Grampy's pool, on ski vacation, everywhere.

Jackson has looked after and loved my children, never once showing them any form of annoyance, and trust me they tried to annoy him. I find myself constantly reminding Merry and David to be nice to my friend Jackson.

Jackson spends his days now rolled up in a ball, in the front yard, waiting for me to get home from work. He has lost probably fifteen pounds in the last month because he won't eat unless I stand over him and insist. When he is inside with the family he paces and will not lie down, he seems always to be under Heidi's feet. My friend Jackson is a shell of his former self, the only joy he has is the five minutes everyday when I get home from work and pat him. I know what I should do, I am just having a lot of trouble. If the roles were reversed I know what I would want Jackson to do, he wouldn't do it, he is too shy.

It is time to go back to the vets and make our case. The last time we were there the dog perked right up and was much better for a few weeks. I hope they have some answers, I would love for it not to be my decision. In the end it will be my decision.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

It is very difficult to make such decisions, especially when our pets are more like family/friends. This is very sad news.

11:20 PM EDT  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Aw, this post hurts. I'm so sorry to hear about your best buddy. Sad news indeed.

9:09 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home