Friday, May 12, 2006

Potty Training

David has decided he wants to use the potty and wear Big Boy underpants. This has been building slowly, it started a few weeks back at bed time he would copy his sister. Some nights he would pee other nights he would just sit there looking goofy. Yesterday I got a call at work, Heidi put David on the phone and he exclaims "Daddy I am wearing underpants! Here's Mommy". He sounded so proud.

When will he be big enough to stand up? Now, when he has to go, he has Heidi take off all of his clothes from the waist down. Then he climbs the toilet and lowers himself down on the seat. He accepts no help "I do it myself!" he proclaims. There is no arguing with him. This poses a problem at public restrooms, when I say he climbs the toilet I mean he scales up the back bowl and before lowering himself down on the seat he crouches there poised, hands on the front, feet on the back, like a cat ready to pounce. I am not germphobic but the thought of his naked little body climbing up and down public toilets sceaves me out.

He is ahead of Merry by about half a year I think. Having a role model has accelerated the process. Heidi and I have never pushed the potty thing, we simply clap and hurray like crazy people when they succeed, and hug and console when there is an accident. Action needs to be taken to curb the naked ascents, a step in front of the bowl and a lesson may be the answer.

Congratulations David, you are growing up right on schedule.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's good stuff. That reminds me of The Voice in public restrooms, except his deal is that he hates the noise and is always asking me not to take him to the loud one. And automatic toilets really bother him.

By the way, I can't get your email to work. What's the deal, Peter?

5:49 PM EDT  
Blogger Momma G said...

Hi, found your site through DYM...need help with the potty training thing, my 2 and a half year old isn't so into it...aww, man!

11:34 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! To both you and David. I can't wait for Tod-lar to take the big leap.

(BTW, I used to live in Marblehead -- we rented there -- and Swampscott -- which is where we bought our first house. Yay North Shore!)

11:16 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home