Thursday, May 11, 2006

Every Night

Every night before I go to sleep I check on the children. There are two reasons for this, one I want to make sure they are under their covers, if they are not covered up they get cold and cry. The most important reason I have for checking in on them before I go to sleep is because it makes me smile.

No matter what is going on in my head seeing my children sleeping peacefully gives me an immense amount of satisfaction. It makes me smile knowing they are secure and comfortable, dreaming of butterflies, sand castles, trucks and princesses. Merry and Thomas sleep on their stomachs, I can not see the expressions on their faces, David sleeps on his back with his hands up over his head and a devious smirk on his face. I wonder what he is thinking, I know he feels secure.

Writing on sleeping brings back thoughts concerning Thomas' mid night feedings. I am happy and a bit astounded to report that we have not heard from Thomas after 9 pm for almost a month. Knock on wood. Tap tap. Heidi and I have been sleeping through the night with out childish interruption for a month. We have not had a reprieve this long in four years.

Last night I went to bed with a smile on my face. Children can even wash away the disappointment of a 7-3 loss to those damn Yankees.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh the joy of finally realizing that you may sleep through the night...i remember that moment!

- Jon
- Daddy Detective
- www.daddydetective.com

9:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I love that you posted about this. One of my favorite times of the day is going into Laylee's room and whispering "I love you" in her ear as I cover her up with a blanket. Every once in a while she opens her eyes for a moment and smiles before going back to sleep. They seem so harmless in that state. :)

7:03 PM EDT  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

I absolutely love checking on the kids, although it's my 3 month old who usually has me up a couple of times during the night. Maybe, she's just checking on me. :-) My almost 2 year old usually sleeps on his stomach with his butt up high in the air. It always cracks me up.

8:06 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home