Wednesday, June 28, 2006

When You Start

I have been looking at the blank page for nearly ten minutes now wondering what to write about. What is the process to continually come up with content? I don't have one. I write about my life and what is happening in it.

When I started this blog I had a list of generic parenting topics that I wanted to comment on, having covered that original list in the first three weeks finding new topics has become more and more difficult. I struggle with how much of my life to put out there and whether or not anybody cares. Does anybody really care if I went to a BNI meeting? Does anybody care if Heidi and I are starting a new business? What is missing in this blog is the universal, the topics that touch us all as parents and caregivers.

We all deal with diapers, sleepless nights, temper tantrums, crawling, first steps, first words and sentences. We all find ourselves catching our breath as the little being we have created develops into an individual. A person with their own thoughts, ideas and mannerisms. This development is a gift that we should cherish, Heidi and I are currently watching Thomas our 11 month old baby turn into a little boy and it is bittersweet. It is nice to be done with infants, however, watching a baby grow is witnessing a miracle and I am sad that we are leaving that part of our life behind.

I am excited about the next stage in our families development. We had three children in four years, Merry has attended her first year of pre-school and David will follow next year. There will be leagues and games and classes and camps. Interests will come and go, they will learn to read, write, add and subtract. They will discover bullies and cliques, vanity and modesty, pride and shame, pandora's box will be open before them. Their innocence will begin to erode, slowly, over time they will become teenagers. This is too much.

What will the future hold for the family in The Old Blue House? Heaven only knows, whatever it is we will address it and continue moving forward.

This is an example of what happens when you start, if you don't start nothing happens, when you do start it gets done. If you have been putting something off get going.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the sense of something passing with each moment of the time your children are [children]. For myself, I love interacting with the kids. watching them grow and change is great, but I love it when they communicate and resopnd. That's why toddlerhood has been my favorite stage in my kids development; they're growing so fast and changing so much, but they're advanced enough to be really fun too.

6:55 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I measure my oldest son against myself fairly often and it seems like just the other week the top of his head was at my hips and today... at the bottom of my ribs. He will be 4 at the beginning of August but I still remember carrying him in the hollow of my arm as a newborn. It's happened so fast, but it's the most beautiful blur I've come to know. Part of the reason that I've started my blog is to slow down and sketch the moments into words... hopefully they will see them some day and see how much they've meant to me and know how long they've been loved. It's nice to see other parents and families such as your own going through growth. A new business (HUGE) fixing the house tasting the bittersweetness of young parenthood. You may have started this entry with nothing but for some reason it sure said a lot to me. Thanks.

10:50 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home