Monday, March 20, 2006

Naked Dance

Last night at Poppa and Grandma's house, Poppa made a comment that got me thinking. Poppa and Grandma are my parents. The entire family shows up there on most Sundays for Sunday dinner. It is really great, the entire family gets together outside of work and just hangs out. Marybeth(Grandma) cooks up something delicious and the kids play.

Towards the end of the evening each of the families start putting pajamas on their kids. Merry and David like to strut their stuff and do a couple of laps around the house naked. At some point Poppa remarks "get some clothes on that girl" this was a reasonable request that got me thinking.

At what age does running around naked become a problem? When does the kid begin to realize she is naked? When does modesty manifest itself? The loss of innocence happens when? I do not know the answer to these questions. I know it happens to almost everyone, I wonder what triggers it and why.

I don't want my little girl to be comfortable naked in a room full of people but I don't want her to grow up either. The care free easiness of the "naked, karate, ballerina dance" is something that I cherish. If you have older children that are no longer comfortable being naked, when did it happen and how?

P.S.
I am nervous about the searches that end up on a post like this.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not there yet buddy bird. My boy will end up with gradually less clothing throughout most evenings, until he is suddenly naked (and grinning when we ask him where the hell all his clothes are). I'm thinking the same thing as you are about the appropriate age for starting to seriously moderate this behavior, but for now, it's refreshing to be in the presence of such pure innocence.

11:41 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home