Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Mr. and Mrs.

When I was a kid I addressed every adult as either Mrs. or Mr. only under special circumstances would I refer to an adult by their first name. Carla is the only one that comes to mind, she was the mother of my sisters friend and would not let us call her Mrs.

When I am introduced to Merry and David's new friends, I am introduced as Peter. Excuse me, I am not at all interested in being friends with two and four year olds. The reality is I am not their peer, I am their elder.

We use the terms Aunt and Uncle for our close friends who are involved in the children's lives. I think Merry may use the first names of some of her friends parents. I do not like it and I am not sure how to change it.

I feel like a Jack Ass if I push it, and a Mush if I don't. Why do I feel uncomfortable insisting on being addressed as Mr.?, I can't put my finger on it but I think it may have something to do with not wanting to grow up and accept all the responsibilities associated with being an adult and raising a family. With responsibility comes title and my new title is Mr.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I totally agree. I find it weird being introduced by my first anme.

A lot of our friends seem to be using "Mr. Steve" as my introduction now. It's a little easier for the kids, but it has a touch of formality.

7:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

It seems our culture has something to do with how casual kids feel towards adults. I don't think that happens in Japan.

1:46 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home